In search of a job?
Our database includes everything from registrars to HIM directors. There are a lot of options to look through. We compile open job postings for most of the associations we work with into a single source that their members can use to search available jobs.
Search for Jobs
HIM SPECIALIST (HEALTH INFORMATION MANAGEMENT)
Location: Juneau, Sitka, Alaska
Work Setting: Other
Job Function: HIM Specialist
Job Type: Full-Time
About Xtend Healthcare
Xtend Healthcare is a revenue cycle management company focused exclusively on the healthcare industry. The company’s services range from full revenue cycle outsourcing, A/R legacy cleanup and extended business office to coding and consulting engagements. As part of Navient (Nasdaq: NAVI), Xtend taps the strength and scale of a large-scale business processing solutions company. Learn more at www.xtendhealthcare.net
THIS POSITION IS LOCATED ON-SITE IN JUNEAU or SITKA, ALASKA
Xtend Healthcare is looking for a Health Information Management (HIM) Specialist. The position is responsible for performing various technical functions including record pickup, document scanning, indexing, and retrieval and filing of paper medical records. Processes Birth and Death Certificates in compliance with state regulations. This position will also provide clerical support within the HIM Department including performing Release of Information intake.
1. Performs HIM Specialist work as assigned as their major responsibilities:
- Chart pickup on nursing units or clinics as appropriate
- Scans paper medical record documents into the appropriate patients’ electronic health record
- Indexes scanned documents and verifies the information scanned is placed in the correct patient record and correct encounter
- Ensures appropriate importing of documents into the patient’s electronic health record
- Files and retrieves hardcopy medical records as necessary
- Provide clerical support as needed
2. Release of Information Intake
- Routes requests for medical records, amendments, accounting of disclosures, patient portal received to the appropriate
- Evaluates basic requests for validity and logs requests as appropriate
- Processes patient walk-in requests assisting the patient to complete the authorization accurately and completely
3. Performs customer service activities.
- Answering telephones of staff, patients
- Assists staff and patients as needed
4. Record Keeping
- Meets with patients while in-house to facilitate completion of the birth certificate worksheet
- Accurately and timely input of birth certificate data in the state vital statistics system
5. Process Death Certificates in compliance with state regulations as appropriate
- Receive death certificate worksheet in the HIM Department
- Provide death certificate to the appropriate physicians in accordance with policy
- Provide complete death certificate to funeral home or medical examiner upon completion
- Answers phone calls related to the status of ROI requests
- High school diploma
- Six months clerical or customer service experience
- Experience working in healthcare facility and/or familiarity with the electronic medical records
- (Additional equivalent education above the required minimum may substitute for the required level of experience)
- Understanding of medical terminology
- Understanding of health information concepts
- Ability to perform basic computer functions
- Ability to perform basic data entry in Microsoft Word and excel is a plus
- Frequent bending may be required for some duties
- Frequent sitting and standing
- Continuous oral communication and clear speech required
- Continuous repetitive finger movement (data entry)
- Frequent lifting charts, office supplies such as reams of paper and hardcopy records
- Ability to prioritize work, complete tasks within prescribed time, and flexible with time and changing tasks.
- The ability to work independently and interact professionally with public, physicians and hospital personnel.
- The abilities for critical thinking skills to identify and locate information in various mediums and locations, knowledge of medical record forms and documentation requirements, understanding of patient information and process flow, ability to problem solve.
- The ability to read, understand and reiterate regulatory requirements, hospital medical staff rules and regulations.
- The ability to respond correctly to a multitude of information requests
- Must demonstrate integrity and ability to keep patient information confidential at all times.
All offers of employment are contingent on standard background checks. Navient and certain of its affiliated companies are federal, state and/or local government contractors. Should this position support a Federal Government contract, now or in the future, the successful candidate will be subject to a background check conducted by the U.S. Government to determine eligibility and suitability for federal contract employment for public trust or sensitive positions. Positions that support state and/or local contracts also may require additional background checks to determine eligibility and suitability.
EOE Race/Ethnicity/Sex/Disability/Protected Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Navient Corporation and its subsidiaries are not sponsored by or agencies of the United States of America.
Navient is a drug free workplace.
Posted: October 4, 2023 at 3:53 PM
Post ID: 81572