In search of a job?
Our database includes everything from registrars to HIM directors. There are a lot of options to look through. We compile open job postings for most of the associations we work with into a single source that their members can use to search available jobs.
Search for Jobs
HIM Outpatient Coder
The Chickasaw Nation
Location: Ada, Oklahoma
Work Setting: Hospital
Job Function: Coder
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Title: HIM Outpatient Coder
This position is located within the Chickasaw Nation Department of Health. The health system provides professional health services to Native American beneficiaries. The Outpatient Coder is responsible for translating clinical data into universal code sets, ICD-10-CM, CPT-4 and HCPC, which determines reimbursement paid to a hospital from Medicare, Medicaid and Private Insurance companies as well as provides statistical data.
Supervision Received: Supervised by the Manager, Assistant Manager and Supervisor, Outpatient Coding of the Health Information Management Department of the Chickasaw Nation Department of Health
Supervision Exercised: None
Supervision Essential Job Functions:
• Reviews, analyzes and interprets medical information documented via paper record and/or electronic health record, to accurately assign ICD-10CM, CPT-4, and HCPC, codes using the national coding guidelines.
• Utilizes the RPMS/IHS software to abstract pertinent data.
• Collaborates with the business office regarding coding assignment and accuracy to ensure compliance with guidelines.
• Serve as a resource to answer questions regarding coding guidelines and regulations and/or superbill processes.
• Queries provider and/nursing staff as necessary to seek clarification in documentation as necessary to perform job duties.
• Meets or exceeds coding and abstracting daily expectancy of 80 to100 patient encounters per eight hour day without exceeding an error rate of 5%.
• Familiarizes themselves with departmental and organizational policies and procedures ensuring appropriate handling of healthcare information and personal protection/safety preparedness.
• Refers unique or difficult cases or problems to managerial staff.
• Maintains accurate account of daily activities.
• Responsible for elevating to management, any issues that need reviewed to prevent provider documentation deficiencies or trends.
• Maintains the confidentiality of healthcare information as outlined by applicable federal and state legislation, accreditation agency regulation and organizational policy and procedure.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Required – Appropriate course work and thorough working knowledge of medical and pharmaceutical terminology, standard abbreviations, anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology.
Required – Applied knowledge of ICD-10-CM, CPT-4, and HCPC national coding guidelines.
Required – Skill set necessary to correlate generalized observations/symptoms (vital signs, lab results, medication, etc.) to a stated diagnosis or procedure to ensure correct coding assignment.
Required – Excellent communication skills with the demonstrated ability to remain professional at all times.
Preferred – Ability to work independently, efficiently and effectively.
Preferred – Perform in a professional manner exhibiting courtesy and tact.
Preferred – Organized and self-motivated with a flexible approach.
Preferred – Excellent time management skills.
GED Required – High School and/or GED
Training And Experience:
Required Experience (6 months – 3 years) – Six months to 1 year coding experience
Licenses, Certifications, Other:
Required – Licensure RHIA, RHIT, CCS, CCA and current registration with the American Health Information Management Association or licensure CPC and current registration with American Academy of Professional Coders.
After employment for 90 days you will be eligible for the Chickasaw Nation Health Plan. This package includes health, dental, and vision at no cost to you. There are three different rates depending on the dependents you add to the plan. The family plan is $100/month.
• You will be eligible for our 401K plan after 6 months of employment. The Nation will match dollar for dollar of your paycheck up to 5%.
• We do have 12 paid holidays, and 10 vacation days, you also get your birthday off! Then after your third year of employment vacation days are increased to 15 days per year.
• The Chickasaw Nation does offer an employee incentive program to all of our employees, called IDP. You will be eligible to enroll for the plan one year after your anniversary date and will receive up to 10% of your annual income, the following November. The percentage received is dependent upon your start date in the position.
We also receive discounts of Legal Shield services and Sam’s Club memberships, AT&T discounts and many more.
Instructions for Resume Submission
Please submit resume to Amanda.Leslie@chickasaw.net and Cc Randi.Camp@chickasaw.net.
Posted: August 17, 2023 at 10:25 AM
Post ID: 80204