Find A Job
In search of a job?
Our database includes everything from registrars to HIM directors. There are a lot of options to look through. We compile open job postings for most of the associations we work with into a single source that their members can use to search available jobs.
Search for Jobs
Director HIM Multi Sites
Location: Scarborough, Maine
Work Setting: Other
Job Function: HIM Director/Privacy Officer
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Range: Based on experience
This position is responsible for providing operational subject-matter expertise, leadership, oversight, direction and support for the Health Information Management Department in multiple facilities in the MaineHealth system. The Regional Director will establish strong relationships across each organization, maintaining visibility and fostering a culture focused on quality, operational improvement and accountability. Act as administrator at the regional level of the comprehensive records management program in collaboration with centralized HIM knowledge of retrieval, retention and destruction guidelines for all record sets. Ensures the department functions in compliance with licensing and accreditation standards and institutional goals and objectives of the facility. Consults and advises on compliance with the HIPAA Privacy Standards and reasonable safeguards to ensure patient privacy. Work is diversified and requires the application of independent judgement in developing approaches and techniques for the solution of problems.
- Performance Metrics
- Submits Annual Implementation Plans (AIP) on time and in collaboration with administrative direction. Collaborates with administration and management team on PI Plan.
- Establishes long and short range departmental goals and objectives consistent with the Medical Center’s strategic directives. Develops a Performance Improvement Plan consistent with departmental goals and institutional strategic direction.
- Establishes, with HIM Leadership team, standard metrics, KPIs, and Lean standards of practice for HIM functional areas.
- Develops and enhances departmental services through ongoing planning and advocacy and acts in a manner that is consistent with the mission, vision and values of the organization and consistent with the strategic plan.
- Maintains adequate and accurate health care data through acceptable classification and indexing systems
- Adhere to statues, rules, regulation and standards in the direction of health information management services
- Ensure corporate compliance with state, federal, accreditation and other regulatory agencies with regard to the collection and use of patient/client information and the maintenance of required HIPAA documentation
- Policy/Procedure Development
- Follows appropriate review and approval process.
- Updates Institutional policies on the HIPAA Privacy Standards.
- Ensures Institutional policies are continuously compliant with Joint Commission and CMS standards.
- Develops Departmental and institutional policies and procedures incorporating applicable legal, ethical, accrediting and licensing standards as well as coordinating these with various other departments affected by them.
- Actively participates in projects and teams effecting the content, design and format of the medical record including the computerized or electronic medical record systems.
- Continuously reaches across organizational boundaries to include others in project while considering bigger picture in execution and collaboration.
- Works closely with Information Services and other Departments in the protocol and design and/or expansion of information systems to meet institutional goals and objectives.
- Consults with Departments on HIM issues. Provides timely feedback.
- Presents to internal and external groups on health information management topics.
- Serves as a resource to other departments and staff involved in medical record systems, document management and imaging systems, legal issues, release of information, documentation, coding and data quality, privacy and confidentiality, and HIPAA privacy standards
- Demonstrates ability to lead and work collaboratively in interdisciplinary teams for the benefit as a whole by actively working to develop positive group interactions; soliciting ideas and opinions from other individuals and departments; being sensitive to others’ perspectives; being persuasive and open to being persuaded by others; expressing positive expectations of others’ abilities and expected contributions; frequently exchanging information and resources with others throughout organization; being cooperative and sharing resources with other individuals and units.
- Develops objectives, strategies and goals for own group with a direct line of sight to the overall HIM strategy with Sr. Director HIM.
- Maintains focus and alters how work is accomplished while adapting quickly to changing circumstances.
- Challenges traditional practices and actively pursues positive change by demonstrating optimism and displaying a “can-do” attitude; aligning people with the organizations
- Ensures performance reviews are completed prior to the review date.
- Directs, coaches and mentors supervisory and managerial personnel. Delegates operational responsibility and accountability to the team. Meets with managers on a regular basis. Provides timely, pertinent and proactive feedback.
- Analyzes and recommends improvements in workflow that contribute to efficiency and productivity.
- Demonstrates ability to manage for results in areas of quality, service excellence, people and financial management by accepting personal responsibility for results; consistently delivering on commitments; making sound and timely decisions; taking a strategic approach to identifying problems/opportunities and setting priorities; aligning strategic goals objectives.
- Oversees all aspects of managing the Department.
- Fiscal responsibility
- Meets budget deadlines.
- Forecasts future needs.
- Seeks appropriate administrative feedback.
- Contributes to cost saving initiatives.
- Submits Information Systems Committee (ISC) requests in a timely manner and in response to future departmental and institutional strategic needs.
- Collaborates with Patient Accounts on the AR target/budget.
- Analyzes, recommends, and evaluates improvements in systems, workflow, operations, equipment and any purchases, etc.
- Talent Management
- Interviews pre-employment selection; counsels employees regarding employment, performance, promotion and termination
- Acts to obtain and allocate adequate personnel essential to department operations
- Develops a sustainable team, manages the development of team members by providing development opportunities, stretch assignments to encourage advancement, creates an environment focused on personal and professional growth.
- Encourages, develops and rewards behaviors that support positive change and employee engagement.
- Actively embraces a culture of engagement and models best practice management behaviors that create an environment where employees are respected, recognized and motivated to perform their best work.
License/Certifications: Active AHIMA credentials required. Credentialed as a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) by the American Health Information Management Association or eligible and credentialed within 1 year of employment.
Experience: Seven or more years’ experience in a health information management environment, including direct supervision and staff development.
Prior experience with the Joint Commission and CMS Guidelines including the Conditions of Participation and, when applicable, guidelines for Critical Access Hospitals required.
Experience/knowledge of Epic, electronic health record (eHR) modules and interoperability for optimization and added value for patients, providers, and business associates.
Demonstrated knowledge of HIPAA privacy and security requirements and experience as a Privacy Officer
Knowledge of state and federal medical release of information and portability guidelines.
Ability to interpret and execute MaineHealth policies, procedures and to effectively organize and manage a large Health Information Management Department. Assists in the establishment of policies and/or systems that encourage cross-boundary collaboration.
Assists in the management and execution of large corporate contracts.
Understands how economic, social and political factors impact the organization.
Ability to execute large projects; balance collecting data, conduct cost-benefits analyses to ensure informed decision making.
Highly developed interpersonal verbal and written communication skills to deal productively with customers.
Knowledge of budgets for Revenue Cycle Management, human resource issues to include policies/procedures, seasoned management skills, and financial practices.
Knowledge of medical center wide operations.
Knowledge of hospital and physician billing and coding practices.
Education: Masters Degree preferred
Compensation based on experience
Health Benefits, Paid Time Off policies, educational reimbursement, other benefits available.
Instructions for Resume Submission
Please forward resume to Lori P. Jayne, Sr. Director HIM, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted: May 2, 2023 at 9:33 AM
Post ID: 78447