In search of a job?
Our database includes everything from registrars to HIM directors. There are a lot of options to look through. We compile open job postings for most of the associations we work with into a single source that their members can use to search available jobs.
Search for Jobs
Conifer Health Solutions
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Work Setting: Hospital
Job Function: HIM Manager/Supervisor
Job Type: Full-Time
The Supervisor of HIM oversees and supervises/manages the daily operations of the Health Information Management staff assigned by leading, assigning work, ensuring timely completion of work, and confirming that productivity and quality standards are being met. This position is responsible for training staff in the operation of system applications/equipment and technical aspects of assigning, processing, retrieving, releasing, and storing medical records, including legal requirements regarding HIPAA and confidentiality of medical records. The Supervisor of HIM will analyze the staff’s production and workflow concerns in both electronic and manual systems and processes and develops and/ or revises work procedures to increase efficiency and resolve problems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include the following. Others may be assigned.
- Customer and Employee Satisfaction
- Develops positive customer relationships by displaying professional and helpful behaviors, as well as mutual respect for patients, physicians, team members, visitors, and family/significant others.
- Communicates openly and honestly; following through with assignments; behaving in a fair and consistent manner; and supporting teamwork at all levels of the organization.
- Health Information Management
- Leads and directs assigned HIM team in ensuring daily operations, production, and quality standards are met.
- Manages staff and systems in defined areas to achieve appropriate staffing, resource utilization and cost containment objectives of the organization.
- Ensures staff adheres to appropriate departmental and facility policies and procedures which include ensuring quality and quantity of work/services of staff are acceptable and the staff is meeting established productivity standards
- Develops and maintains policies and procedures applicable to scope of services supervised.
- Makes recommendations concerning updating and revising of HIM policies.
- Reporting Functions
- Evaluates and prepares daily, weekly, and monthly reports indicating production levels and utilization of time and progress toward meeting established goals.
- Completes, analyzes, and submits daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly reports (statistical, productivity, Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) of a complex nature with the use of various applications including MS Excel and PowerPoint.
- Reviews various reports, analyzes data, identifies problem areas and makes recommendations/implements resolution of problems
- Electronic Medical Record (EMR) Management
- Assists with planning, organizing and supervising implementation/upgrades of all HIM related IS systems, including integrated system testing and training
- Keeps abreast of information systems and all updates and assists HIMD with ensuring implementation meets compliance with department standards
- Privacy/Confidentiality/Release of Information
- Assists HIM Director/Manager in directing and evaluating compliance to privacy, information security, and confidentiality of health information standards
- Assists HIM Director/Manager in ensuring compliance with related regulations and standards established by State, Federal, accrediting, and other regulatory agencies
- Personnel Management
- Effectively recruits, develops, and retains qualified staff
- Coaches and mentors staff in order to improve performance and expand responsibility
- Monitors, evaluates, appraises, or disciplines employees’ activities according to organizational guidelines
- Reviews and updates job descriptions annually or as necessary to delineate current requirements
- Conducts, at a minimum, monthly staff team meetings with ongoing staff training
- Verifies the validity of employees hours submitted to payroll
- Training Functions
- Monitors completion of required compliance, privacy, information security, and other mandatory training
- Facilitates training for new or transfer hires and ensures staff are properly trained on all department policies and procedures and systems
- Conducts ongoing staff education, coaching, mentoring, and cross training of direct reports
- Fosters building a cooperative, collaborative, and efficient team while ensuring team engagement
If direct report positions are listed below, the following responsibilities will be performed in accordance with guidelines, policies and procedures and applicable laws. Supervisory responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Direct Reports (titles) Sr. HIM Specialists, HIM Specialists, HIM Leads
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office Work Environment
- Hospital Work Environment
- Work environment is at a moderate level
- Capacity to work independently in a virtual office setting or at hospital setting if required to travel for assignment.
PRIMARY LOCATION: Tacoma, Washington
JOB TYPE: Full-Time
SHIFT TYPE: Days
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Duties may require bending, twisting and lifting of materials up to 25 lbs.
- Duties may require driving an automobile to off-site locations.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Up to 45% local travel may be required
Conifer requires its candidates, as applicable and as permitted by law, to obtain and provide confirmation of all required vaccinations and screenings prior to the start of employment. This may include, but is not limited to, the COVID-19 vaccination, influenza vaccination, and/or any future required vaccines and screenings.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable consideration may be given to other candidates per Senior Management discretion. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Current knowledge of HIM and healthcare standards, policies, and procedures
- Understanding of HIM processes in an electronic health record environment
- Extensive knowledge of medical record documentation requirements
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Ability to understand and follow established procedures and other guidelines of great complexity in the performance of work tasks that involve making frequent decisions
- Ability to determine methods and approaches to work problems
- Ability to handle multiple complex assignments
- Ability to identify and resolve problems of varying degrees of complexity using strong analytical and logic skills
- Ability to develop and recommend policies and procedures
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with direct reports, departmental management and hospital/medical staff leadership
- Ability to communicate effectively in all interactions
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong verbal/written communication skills
- Computer knowledge of MS Office
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
Include minimum certification required to perform the job.
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) preferred
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
Include minimum education, technical training, and/or experience preferred to perform the job.
- Associate Degree in Health Information Technology or Bachelor’s degree in Health Information Management or closely related field and three (3) years in supervisory or lead role preferred
- Previous experience in hospital and/or academic hospital/health system environment with an EMR strongly preferred
Posted: March 18, 2022 at 4:49 PM
Post ID: 67583