In search of a job?
Our database includes everything from registrars to HIM directors. There are a lot of options to look through. We compile open job postings for most of the associations we work with into a single source that their members can use to search available jobs.
Search for Jobs
Supervisory Medical Records Administrator (Chief HIMS)
Royal C Johnson Veterans Memorial Hospital
Location: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Work Setting: Hospital
Job Function: HIM Manager/Supervisor
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Range: $77,488 – $100,739 per year
The Supervisory Medical Record Administrator serves as the Chief, Health Information Management Section and has responsibility for the Medical Record Program functions at the Sioux Falls VA. This employee is responsible for planning, organizing, initiating and directing all functions of the section, including transcription, release of information, statistics, file room and coding. Employee has primary supervisory, training and future work incorporation responsibilities for HIMS.
- Supervises the compilation of statistics for the hospital, community living centers, community nursing homes, and the CBOCs within the Sioux Falls VA Health Care System. Provides information on census, monthly statistical summaries, average length of stay and other data as required. Reports are transmitted electronically and manually to administration, Fiscal Service, Regional and Headquarters Health Administration. Serves as coordinator of the center’s annual patient census survey and other surveys as directed by Headquarters Health Administration and Business Office Manager.
- Supervises preparation and control of release of information and approves all such releases. Responsible for administering a thorough understanding of the Privacy Act of 197 4 and VA Regulations, as well as confidentiality of alcohol and drug abuse information. Coordinates with Regional Counsel the requests for all medical malpractice cases and serves as the custodian of the records on all required subpoenas.
- Supervises the file room staff.
- Supervises the coding activities. Maintains updated guidelines in accordance with HCF A, AHA, AMA and VA regulations. Responsible for assuring a coding compliance plan is developed, implemented and maintained. Coordinates the end-of-the-year closeout activity, delinquency rate for the Joint Commission and annual patient census activities.
- Supervises the overall operational management of transcription to include transcription contracts. Responsible for insuring contract compliance in regard to turn around time, work quality and verification of invoices submitted for payment. Serves as the Contracting Officer’s Technical Representative (COTR).
- Supervises the Decedent Affairs’ functions and processes.
- Supervises the scanning (VistA Imaging) duties to ensure all necessary health/administrative information is integrated into CPRS through PC scanning hardware and Vista Imaging software.
- Provides advisory review to administrative, medical and other professional staff on how record material can serve the needs of staff members, on establishing policies for record maintenance and on modifying and adapting existing procedures to better serve changing needs. Serves in a consulting capacity.
- Reviews and analyzes records to ensure that the necessary components are present, that terminology used by physicians is in keeping with accepted standards, that the contents appear to be accurate and internally consistent and the contents are filed within the record in an established sequence. A determination must be made whether the record appears to be complete enough to furnish desired data for current and future patient care, research and training purposes. Insures that records will meet the requirements _ of accrediting agencies and will meet all legal requirements. Responsible for the Medical Record Service’s portion of the Joint Commission standards and participates in the survey.
- As a member of the Medical Record Committee and CPRS, regularly attends meetings and reports on quality assurance monitors which apply to documentation and timeliness concerns of record completion. Has coordination responsibility for the records review process of the multidisciplinary record assurance work group.
- In performance of official duties, the employee has regular access to printed and electronic files containing sensitive data which must be protected under the provisions of the Privacy Act of 1974, and other applicable laws, Federal Regulations, VA statutes and policy and VHA policy . The employee is responsible for protecting data from unauthorized release, loss, alteration or unauthorized deletion.
- Provides education and training in all phases of the Medical Record Program. Orientates medical record students regarding VA activities and procedures. Serves as the clinical instructor to these students. Conducts courses and training sessions as necessary. Develops and provides monthly training to new residents on rotation at the Medical Center.
- Assigns work, sets performance standards, counsels, reviews work, and takes corrective action as necessary of employees. Schedules and approves annual leave, prepares classification actions, interviews and selects candidates for vacancies. Prepares requests and recommendations for promotions, reassignments or recognition of outstanding performance. Receives and resolves formal grievances at the first supervisory level.
- Assists the Business Office Manager.
- Maintains a close working relationship with the medical staff.
- (1) Experience. Three years of [creditable] experience in the field of medical records that included the preparation, maintenance, and management of [health] records and health information systems [demonstrating a knowledge of medical terminology,] medical records [procedures, medical coding, or medical, administrative, and legal requirements of health care delivery] systems.
- (2) Education. [Successful completion of a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university [recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, with a major field of study in health information management, or a related degree with a minimum of 24 semester hours in health information management or health information technology.]
- (3) Experience/Education Combination. Equivalent combinations of [creditable] experience and education that equals 100 percent may be used to meet basic requirements. [For example, two years above high school from an accredited college or university, with 12 semester hours in health information technology/health information management, plus one year and six months of creditable experience that included the preparation, maintenance, and management of health records and health information systems meets an equivalent combination.
Certification: Employees at this level must have a HIM Certification.
Health Information Management (HIM) Certification. Higher-level health information management certification is limited to certification obtained through AHIMA. To be acceptable for qualifications, the specific certification must represent a comprehensive competency in the occupation. Certification titles may change and certifications that meet the definition of HIM certification may be added/removed by the above certifying body; however, current HIM certifications include Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) and Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA).
Successful completion of a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university [recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, with a major field of study in health information management,
an Associates Degree related degree with a minimum of 24 semester hours in health information management or health information technology.
A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Instructions for Resume Submission
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- VA Application form 2850
- Professional Certification
Apply Online: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/620186200
Posted: December 2, 2021 at 10:48 AM
Post ID: 64693