Find a Job
Medical Records Coder
Satanta District Hospital
Location: Satanta, Kansas
Work Setting: Hospital
Job Function: Coder
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Range: $30,000
Satanta District Hospital is looking for a full-time Medical Records Coder to join our team!
Department: Health Information Management (HIM)
Job Title: Medical Records Coder
Reports To: Director of Health Information Management
Program Description: Assigns diagnostic and procedure codes to records of discharged patients and forwards reports as required. Abstract charts.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Does not supervise other employees.
Essential Job Functions: ( This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary)
Assigns diagnostic and procedure codes to records of discharged patients and forwards reports as required. Abstract charts upon completion of coding.
- Review patient’s entire current medical record and assign appropriate code using the International Classification of Disease system.
- Determine the sequence of diagnosis according to uniform hospital discharge data.
- Records all surgical and designated diagnostic procedures and assign appropriate procedure codes..
- Determines and records other required data items such as attending physician, number of consultations, referral sources, etc.
- Request information from providers when it is incomplete.
- Update coding procedures and guidelines.
- Monitors coding for quality control by randomly scanning coding worksheets and corrections identified by computerized edits.
- Basic computer knowledge. Gather administrative and clinical data for distribution to outside regulatory agencies, third party payers, administrative staff, and providers
- May act as a liaison with hospital personnel and outside agencies on code assignments and may resolve operational problems.
- Prepare periodic reports and other documents as requested.
- Attending courses may be required or encouraged to obtain updated information.
- Assist with other office duties as requested.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Education and/or Experience:
Experience: Coding experience preferred but not required. General office skills and computer experience required.
Education: Certification as RHIT or other coder certification preferred but not required
Ability to carry out detailed written and/or verbal instructions. Ability to solve problems involving concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Able to pay attention to detail and still meet deadlines.
Works cooperatively with all hospital departments and the medical staff
Mostly sedentary work, manual dexterity, hand-eye coordination, Normal hearing (with or without corrective aid), Occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds, ability to multi-task, ability to learn changes in the EHR.
- Subject to many interruptions
- May be exposed to bio-hazardous, radioactive substances
- May be exposed to toxic chemicals
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasional heavy physical effort (lift/carry up to 50 lbs)
- Occasional prolonged, extensive or considerable sitting/ standing/walking.
- Considerable reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching.
Posted: October 28, 2021 at 11:17 AM
Post ID: 63895