Find a Job
Associate Director of Health Information
Florida International University
Location: Miami, Florida
Work Setting: Educational Institution
Job Function: HIM Director/Privacy Officer
Job Type: Full-Time
Florida International University (FIU) is recognized as a Carnegie engaged university. It is a public research university with colleges and schools that offers more than 180 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs in fields such as engineering, international relations, architecture, law and medicine. As one of South Florida’s anchor institutions, FIU contributes $9.8 billion each year to the local economy. FIU is Worlds Ahead in finding solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. FIU emphasizes research as a major component of its mission. FIU has awarded over 200,000 degrees and enrolls more than 54,000 students in two campuses and three centers including FIU Downtown on Brickell, FIU @ I-75, and the Miami Beach Urban Studios. FIU also supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: the Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA and has over 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. For more information about FIU, visit http://www.fiu.edu/.
The Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine is currently seeking an Associate Director of Health Information to join our team of professionals.
- Oversees medical records and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy for all of the Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine (HWCOM) clinical activities, including but not limited to NeighborhoodHELP and Faculty Group Practice.
- Serves as primary liaison between HWCOM and FIU Compliance Office and FIU General Counsel’s Office.
- Responsible for the timely and compliant release of medical records requests from patients and outside entities. In addition to consulting with FIU Legal Counsel, if needed, when processing subpoenas and depositions.
- Ensures clinical providers and staff complete necessary HIPAA and related training as required by FIU Compliance Office and HWCOM.
- Reports and escalates breaches and incidents on non-compliance as required.
- Creates and executes a quarterly assessment plan that is proactive, timely, and prioritizes any risk areas. Identifies appropriate course of action and works with management to establish priorities.
- Oversees and ensure compliance in the maintenance, retention, and eventual destruction/disposal of medical records.
- Identifies opportunities, designs workflows, and develops operational guidelines to increase efficiencies and improve compliance in collaboration with faculty and staff Leads special projects as needed.
- Responsible for HWCOM faculty and staff knowledge and adherence to all relevant policies, procedures, and operational guidelines.
- Performs essential duties in any emergencies such as hurricanes, public health emergencies, and/or any other university emergency closing. The employee is expected to be available to report to work as needed during university emergency closing with appropriate notification of a department administrator.
- Performs related duties as required or assigned by supervisor. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Bachelor’s degree in business, education or related field and six (6) years of related work experience or Master’s degree in business, education or related field and four (4) years of related work experience.
At least five years of relevant job experience.
At least one of the following designations:
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA)
- Certified HIPAA Professional (CHP)
- Certified in Healthcare Privacy and Security (CHPS)
- Medical Records Certificate or Degree
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please visit us on-line at https://hr.fiu.edu/careers/, click on “Prospective Employees” or “Current Employees” and search for job opening ID 525061.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply Online: https://hr.fiu.edu/careers/
Posted: October 4, 2021 at 11:40 AM
Post ID: 63255