Find a Job
Director of Health Information Management
Lexington Regional Health Center
Location: Lexington, Nebraska
Work Setting: Hospital
Job Function: HIM Director/Privacy Officer, HIM Manager/Supervisor
Job Type: Full-Time
Lexington Regional Health Center continues a proud tradition of providing outstanding medical care. Committed to maintaining a strong spirit of community, we invest our resources close to home. Our staff is dedicated to patients receiving a high quality of care that meets or exceeds expectations. We proactively embrace the concept of patient safety. We encourage our staff to care for each other, so that we can better care for the people we serve.
Our mission is to optimize the health of our patients and community through innovation and excellence in care, education and service.
Our vision is to become the premier healthcare provider in the region.
Integrity… our promise.
Value… our commitment.
Compassion… our distinction.
Excellence… our standard.
Innovation… our future.
Lexington Regional Health Center
Title: Director of Health Information Management
Effective Date: August 14, 2020
Revised July 1, 2021
Supervisor: Chief Financial Officer
Department: Health Information Management
FLSA Status: Exempt
Principle duties and responsibilities
Principle objective: Responsible for oversight of the HIM department, ensuring that the integrity of patient information, health records and financial data is protected, accurate and complete.
1. Oversees daily departmental activities ensuring quality standards are met.
2. Communicates information effectively with staff, and other departments
3. Creates and fosters a positive work environment and builds an efficient, engaged work team.
4. Interacts with Providers ensuring information is available and accurate when needed.
5. Manages operating system software programs, including troubleshooting and interaction with vendors for solutions/resolution.
6. Ensures staff adheres to appropriate departmental and facility policies and procedures.
7. Promotes positive, respectful relationships with employees and customers.
1. Serves as the Privacy Officer.
2. Documents grievances and complaints, conduct investigations, and educate workforce on such standards.
3. Maintains, reviews and updates the Health Information Management and HIPAA Privacy policies and procedures.
4. Ensure legal compliance of policy, procedure and practices for the safe and effective operation of Lexington Regional Health Center.
5. Respond timely to legal request for copies of protected health information in accordance with HIPAA privacy regulations, including the ability to analyze authorizations for HIPAA compliance and a working knowledge of what medium to release records
6. Reviews medical records for completeness and prepares and distributes notification of delinquency when necessary.
7. Responsible for HIPAA Compliance Plan related to the Privacy Standards.
8. Prepare and submit reports to various organizations in accordance with state and federal regulations.
9. Ensure patients and visitors follow current infection control guidelines.
10. Responsible for ensuring the environment meets appropriate governing body standards.
11. Train and prepare staff to minimize risk when performing duties that could include blood exposure and risk to blood borne pathogens (eg: lacerations, handling of blood-contaminated items, etc.)
12. Maintains patient and staff safety through the use of patient safety tools (Teamstepps, Just Culture, etc.)
1. Prepare, coordinate and attend the monthly Medical Staff meeting and record meeting minutes.
2. Sets department goals and standards and ensures the staff understand and are meeting established productivity and quality standards.
3. Participates in organizational quality activities where appropriate
4. Implements continuous process improvement for medical records and revenue stream processes within the department
5. Review various reports, analyzes data, identifies problems and interprets data for use in reporting, assessment and process improvement.
6. Serves on various committees as needed.
1. Works directly with and reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
2. Develop an annual budget for the Health Information Management Department and ensure that budgetary expectations are met.
3. Works directly and collaboratively with financial services to maximize claims reimbursement.
4. Reviews claims data to identify and trend common issues in coding and/or billing practices and makes recommendations for improvements.
5. Monitors and evaluates payer information updates periodically for possible coding and billing changes.
Minimum knowledge, skills, and abilities
1. Current knowledge of HIM and healthcare standards, policies, and procedures. Five years’ experience in the health information management field required.
2. Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with direct reports, peers and hospital/medical staff leadership with the ability to communicate effectively in all interactions.
3. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret reports, general business directives, policy and procedure statements, and governmental regulations. This is typically acquired through the completion of an Associate Degree with credentials of RHIA or RHITT to ensure a working knowledge of the parts of a medical record and the rules and regulations imposed on the health information management field of health care.
4. Ability to maintain strict confidentiality with regard to protected and sensitive information.
5. Ability to effectively communicate with all individuals using multiple methods of communication. Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and attention to detail. Strong verbal/written communication skills
6. Ability to immediately respond to common inquiries and complaints from patients, employees and regulatory agencies
7. Ability to understand and follow established procedures and other guidelines of great complexity in the performance of work tasks that involve making frequent decisions
8. Ability to complete reports and correspondence at a professional level.
9. Ability to identify, assess and solve complex problems independently and confidently by applying analytical and logical thinking.
10. Ability to effectively organize and present information and respond to questions from employees and external groups of varying sizes.
11. Successful completion of required knowledge and training of standard precaution protocols and when to apply during principle duties and responsibilities.
12. Ability to use standard office equipment and computer software proficiently.
13. Basic Life Support certification via American Heart Association required within six months of hire.
1. Works in a normal office environment, well lighted and ventilated with minimal exposure to excessive noise, dust, temperature, etc.
2. Subject to frequent interruptions.
3. Requires auditory ability sufficient to hear the telephone with typical hearing-impaired enhancements and to hear normal conversations typical in an office setting.
4. Requires vision sufficient enough to read a computer screen with typical vision-impaired enhancements and to read entries made into the medical record.
5. Requires significant time at a desk both writing and on a computer, up to 90% of work time. Requires fine motor coordination 70% of work time. Workers are required to transport up to 8 pound stacks of paper to be placed on various shelf heights, from 13 inches from floor, up to 73 inches from floor 5% of work time. Workers are required to remove a shred paper bag from its enclosure, which weighs up to 90 pounds, and requires 2 people to remove and transport the bag 15 feet; this is completed approximately 1 time per month.
Job description statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job title. They are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required.
Available upon request. Please send an inquiry to Mandy Sand: email@example.com
Instructions for Resume Submission
Send resume to Mandy Sand: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted: September 24, 2021 at 9:42 AM
Post ID: 63109