Find a Job
Health Information Management Coding Specialist
NYU Langone Health
Location: New York, New York
Work Setting: Hospital
Job Function: Coder, HIM Specialist
Job Type: Full-Time
Health Information Management Coding Specialist III (Tue – Sat 9am-5pm)
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you’ll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Health Information Management Coding Specialist III Coding Specialist III.
In this role, the successful candidate is responsible for analyzing, collecting, classifying, coding and reporting medical record data according toICD-9-CM/CPT-4 methodology to meet Medical Center, Financial, Third Party Payer, Federal and State regulatory standards.
• Analyzing Data-Inpatient – Reviews and analyzes inpatient medical record documentation from the patients visit. Abstracts pertinent clinical information (i.e.diagnostic and procedural information) and other related patients and physicians dataneeded for statistical information. Determines appropriate coding of clinical data in accordance with coding clinic, Federal and State Diagnostic Related Groupings (DRGs) classification guidelines and departmental guidelines. Codes clinical information in accordance with ICD-9-CM methodology.
• Analyzing Data-Outpatient – Reviews and analyzes outpatient medical record documentation from the patients visit. Abstracts pertinent clinical information (i.e.diagnostic and procedural information) and other related patient and physician data needed for statistical information. Determines appropriate coding of clinical data in accordance with coding clinic, Federal, State and departmental guidelines. Codes clinical information in accordance with ICD-9-CM/CPT-4 methodology for patient reporting.
• Analyzing Data-Rehabilitation – Adheres to the policies and procedures of the Medical Center and department concerning safety, rules of conduct, etc. as outlined in the Employee Staff Handbook. Seeks guidance as necessary for the performance of duties, asks appropriate questions when in doubt and utilizes reference sources/materials to ensure accuracy.
• To qualify you must have a Demonstrated proficiency in medical record analysis and ICD-9-CM/CPT-4 coding methodology.
• Associate Degree or Bachelors Degree in Health Information Technology and RHIA, RHIT or CCS certification.
• 4 years coding experience in an acute care teaching hospital collecting, classifying, coding and reporting clinical data.
• Thorough understanding of coding guidelines and ability to use appropriate reference materials.
• Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment.
Posted: August 12, 2021 at 4:40 PM
Post ID: 62342