Find a Job
Release of Information Specialist
National Jewish Health
Location: Denver, Colorado
Work Setting: Ambulatory Care
Job Function: HIM Specialist, Release of Information Specialist
Job Type: Full-Time
This position reports to the Health Information Management Supervisor and is responsible for processing all Release of Information (ROI) requests in compliance with organization policies, HIPAA and State regulations while maintaining the confidentiality of our patients protected health information. In addition to these responsibilities, the ROI Specialist responds to any inquiries coming from phone calls, mail, email, fax, EMR task or in person. Ensures that only authorized individuals have access to the patient’s health information and that all releases of information are in compliance with the request.
1. Safeguards and protects the patient’s right to privacy by ensuring that only authorized individuals have access to the patient’s medical information and that all releases of information are in compliance with the request, authorization, company policy and HIPAA regulations.
2. Manages requests utilizing a wide variety of software and applications for medical record information from patients, third party payers and others.
3. Prioritizes release of information requests, retrieves medical records from active, inactive and interdepartmental locations. Electronically tracks and delivers records in accordance with established procedures. Process requests in a timely and efficient manner within established timeline standards, maintaining quality and accuracy. Work is extremely detailed and requires a high rate of accuracy in order to meet legal requirements.
4. Maintains in-depth knowledge of all applicable state and federal laws, HIPAA privacy and security regulations, as well as enterprise policies and procedures pertaining to the release of protected health information.
5. Ensure all disclosures are documented and in compliance. Interpret and adhere to legal requirements and established procedures that govern release of information.
6. Acts as a liaison between the institution’s physicians and outside attorneys when needed. Communicates with National Jewish Health administration when increased support is needed via National Jewish Health attorneys.
7. Performs self-quality checks on all work to assure accuracy of the release, confidentiality and proper billing/charging.
Utilizes a wide variety of software and applications in order to fulfill requests.
1. May perform other duties as assigned to support business needs.
1. Accountability: Accepts full responsibility for self and contribution as a team member; displays honesty and truthfulness; confronts problems quickly; displays a strong commitment to organizational success and inspires others to commit to goals; demonstrates a commitment to National Jewish Health.
2. Adaptablility: Maintain a perspective that is ready to change if needed for the common good of the work goals, including adjusting to new work structures and technologies, processes, job requirements, or cultures. Able to do other department job duties as needed or requested and willing to learn those functions.
3. Collaboration/Teamwork: Mindful of the common goals of the team and National Jewish Health in regard to applying skill and knowledge to create a team that is friendly and cooperative. Helping each other reach desired goals.
4. Customer Focus: Apply skill and knowledge to create satisfaction for physician and others on an ongoing basis without being reactive but pro-active to solve challenges. This includes a great and can do attitude.
5. Initiative: Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive.
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
1. Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
2. Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
3. Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
4. Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
5. Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
6. Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
7. Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
8. Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
1. Work Experience: A minimum of one (1) year experience in a healthcare setting required.
1. Work Experience: Prior experience in HIM Department related to record maintenance completion or release of information preferred.
2. Special Training, Certification or Licensure: Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel preferred. AHIMA-credentialed applicants (RHIA or RHIT credential) preferred
1. Education: High school diploma or equivalent required.
At National Jewish Health, we recognize that our outstanding faculty and staff are the essence of our organization. For every aspect of health care, our employees are our greatest asset.
With that in mind, we have designed a valuable, comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of our employees and their families.
The following benefit options are available to *benefit-eligible employees: Medical, Dental and Vision insurance, generous paid time off, flexible spending account (FSA), short and long term disability, life insurance/AD&D, identity theft protection, legal plan, 403(b) retirement plan, and other voluntary benefits and employee discounts.
Apply Online: https://pm.healthcaresource.com/CS/national/#/job/4700
Posted: December 8, 2020 at 1:10 PM
Post ID: 56599