Find a Job
HIM Clinic Coder
Work Setting: Non Provider Setting
Job Function: Coder
Job Type: Full-Time
About Children’s Minnesota:
Children’s Minnesota is the seventh largest pediatric health system in the United States and the only health system in Minnesota to provide care exclusively to children, from before birth through young adulthood. An independent and not-for-profit system since 1924, Children’s serves kids throughout the Upper Midwest at two free-standing hospitals, 12 primary and specialty care clinics and six rehabilitation sites.
Additionally, Children’s is Minnesota’s only Level I pediatric trauma center inside a hospital dedicated solely to children. In 2018 Children’s Minnesota was verified as a Level I Children’s Surgery Center by the American College of Surgeons. Children’s maintains its longstanding commitment to the community to improve children’s health by providing high-quality, family-centered pediatric services and advancing those efforts through research and education.
This work is made possible in large part by generous philanthropic and volunteer support from individuals and organizations throughout the state and region. An award-winning health system, Children’s received Magnet® recognition from The American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) in 2018 and is regularly ranked by U.S. News & World Report as a top children’s hospital. Please visit childrensMN.org.
Health Information Management (HIM) is responsible for the:
- Oversight of the quality, timeliness, and accuracy of the medical record and patient indexes for patient care, legal, revenue, research, and regulatory needs;
- Classification of diagnosis and procedures according to approved classification and nomenclatures such as ICD-10, CPT, Snomed, etc.
- Maintaining the security and integrity of health information;
- Providing documentation tools/services such as dictation, transcription, electronic templates, scribes, and paper forms;
- Collection, quality control, and dissemination of data for comparative data bases and statistical reports including specific disease and procedure registries;
- Providing access to medical record information through release of information processes.
HIM Clinic Coders at Children’s Minnesota are responsible for the following:
- Reviewing patient medical record documentation to identify pertinent diagnoses and procedures.
- Accurately assigning ICD-10-CM, CPT and E&M codes to the highest level of specificity based on clinician documentation for Primary Care, Specialty, Emergency Department and Outpatient service lines, including both professional and facility charge review.
- Participating in clinician education and provides feedback to clarify coding concepts.
- Abstracting clinical data elements for performance improvement, research, reporting and reimbursement purposes.
- Maintaining current knowledge of coding and documentation changes, rules and guidelines.
- Assessing record completion; assigning deficiencies as needed and following up on incomplete records to ensure timely billing.
- Registration as a Health Information Technician (RHIT), Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or certification as a coding specialist required (e.g. CPC/CCA/CCS).
- Successful completion of Children’s coding evaluation required (administered during interview process).
- Demonstrated experience working with medical providers and allied health professionals.
- Prior experience and knowledge in electronic medical record application, including automated encoders, preferred.
- 2-3 years experience as a clinic coder or direct experience working with the revenue stream preferred.
- Cardiology experience strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work independently and productively with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and maintain attention to detail in order to meet customer expectations.
- Demonstrated strong desire to learn.
This is a 1.0 FTE (80 hours per pay period), non-exempt position. Compensation will be determined based on experience and market data.
This position has the potential to work remotely upon successful completion of training and satisfactory work performance and production.
Children’s Benefits Program:
We believe that taking care of the most amazing people on earth starts with taking care of ourselves. After all, our employees are our most valuable asset. That is why we are committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive and competitive benefits program that allows them to take care of themselves and their families, while continuing to provide outstanding care and services to kids.
Our benefits program is a comprehensive and flexible package that meets the needs of a diverse workforce — and we are committed to reviewing our plan annually to make it better. The components of our current program include:
- Medical – including many additional perks such as on-site Employee Health Services for medical members and frequent fitness reimbursements
- Flexible spending accounts
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- AD&D insurance
- Disability benefits
- AD&D insurance
- Disability benefits
- Workers compensation
- Business travel accident insurance
- Paid time off
- 403(b) plan through Fidelity Investments
- Employer match
- Personalized retirement planning and education services with financial planners who understand the details of Children’s programs
- Discount tickets
- Tuition reimbursement
- Emergency loans
- Professional development
- Adoption reimbursement
- Day care and elder care referral services
Children’s is committed to building a culture of well-being. The Be Well program supports all employees and their families. All employees have access to well-being experts like health coaches, dieticians and counselors to support your personal well-being. Employees can earn a financial incentive for healthy habits. Plus there are many other free resources to support you with:
- Financial and legal guidance
- Parenting and child care resources
- Elder care and pet services
- Emotional wellness
- Career management
Instructions for Resume Submission
Instructions for Resume Submission:
Please use the link below to apply directly online and Be Remarkable with Children’s Minnesota!
All job offers are contingent upon successful completion of an occupational health assessment, drug screen, background investigation, and compliance with the U.S. Government Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. Children’s requires proof of immunity to vaccine preventable infectious diseases prior to employment, as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
Children’s is committed to creating a culture where every employee can be their best self, make a difference for kids and families, and learn and grow to reach their full potential. We are proud to celebrate our rich diversity and believe what makes us different, makes us stronger. Our diversity and inclusion program and participation in the CEO Action for Diversity & Inclusion provide every employee with opportunities to use their skills and talents to their full potential. We’re also proud to support and lead community efforts and public policy that impact health and health care for children.
Children’s Minnesota is committed to providing Equal Employment Opportunities to all applicants. EO M/F/Disability/Vet Employer.
Posted: January 21, 2020 at 3:44 PM
Post ID: 46916