Find a Job
MANGER, PROFESSIONAL & OUTPATIENT CODING SERVICES
Location: BROOKLYN, New York
Work Setting: Hospital
Job Function: Coding Supervisor/Manager
Job Type: Full-Time
The Manager of Professional and Outpatient Coding Services will direct the daily activities of the professional and outpatient coding specialists, including, but not limited to scheduling, selecting staff, collaborating with outsourced contract coding vendors, assigning work, and addressing client support needs. Additionally, the Manager will implement procedures to reasonably ensure compliance with Federal, State and Third Party Payer coding rules and regulations, including conducting coding reviews of staff’s work.
The Manager will collaborate with peers in Health Information Services, EPS and Compliance, as well as Faculty Practice Administrators, Physicians, and other leadership positions. The Manager may also be an integral part of various Medical Center committees and workgroups and fill in for the Director in his/her absence.
REQUIRED LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES
1. Communication: Strong written and verbal skills are demonstrated in reports, correspondence and presentations. Ensures that staff is kept informed of Medical Center and departmental priorities. Communicates vision statement and Organizational goals and demonstrates commitment toward their achievement.
2. Professional Development: Participates in conferences, workshops, and other professional development activities to maintain licensure and/or remain professionally current with advances in field of expertise.
3. Staff Development: Ensures staff receive mandated in-servicing in Safety, Quality Assurance, Risk Management, Customer Service, Infection Control and any other in-service that may apply.
4. Problem Solving: Recommendations and decision making reflect strong analytical skills and focus on quality, cost containment, and impact of change on other departments.
5. Customer Service Management: Incorporates the Medical Center’s Customer Service and Organizational Goals in developing and/or revising departmental policies and systems. Continually reviews the service delivery process to exceed customer expectations. Is perceived as a role model by staff, peers in customer service leadership.
6. Project Management: Participates in multidisciplinary task forces, committees and projects, demonstrating team spirit and ability to work with different internal customers. When leading a project team demonstrates the ability to bring together different views and skills toward timely and effective completion of project objectives.
1.* Responsible for all key aspects of managing the internal and day to day operations of the Professional and Outpatient Coding Services Department. Including recruitment, selection, training, monitoring, counseling, evaluating, scheduling of, and assignment of work to staff.
2.* Ensures workload is distributed in such a way to result in accurate and timely billing.
3.* Conducts quality assurance reviews on an acceptable sample of all coding performed by the staff within the department and arrange for education or corrective action based on results of the internal quality assurance reviews.
4.* Collaborates with the Director to prepare policies and procedures for all aspects of the Department.
5.* Provides routine management reports to the Director that address the Department’s ongoing performance.
6.* Manages the daily reconciliation process to track the receipt of encounters requiring coding from clients and transfer of coded encounters to EPS and/or AHS.
7.* Reviews billing denial reports related to coding to identify areas requiring process change and/or education to achieve coding and/or billing compliance. Implement education or other corrective action as indicated to reduce or eliminate denials.
8* The Manager will collaborate with the Department’s clients to facilitate accurate and timely submission of codes to EPS and/or AHS.
9.* Routinely monitors staff’s performance and assessing whether staff is meeting quality and productivity expectations. Conducts coaching, counseling and performance evaluation interviews based on the monitoring.
10.* Maintains appropriate documentation for each staff member relative to their performance and any position related education.
11.* Demonstrates proficiency in coding, coding compliance, and the use of all systems required to perform the position effectively and efficiently.
12.* Serves as a role model for the staff managed in terms of consistently demonstrating timely reporting to work, appropriate use of work time and resources, exceptional work ethic, collaborative teamwork, positive reinforcement, lifelong learning, and conducting oneself in a professional manner, especially when representing the Department and Medical Center.
13.* All other duties and responsibilities as assigned by Director.
Minimum of four years of progressive experience in coding and coding management including a minimum of two years of professional coding and/or coding compliance experience required. Team leader or supervisory experience required. Recent experience with Medicare and Medicaid billing and coding regulations. Proficiency in ICD-10 CM must be demonstrated and measured by required testing and/or certification.
CRC CERTIFICATION PREFERRED
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field preferred and/or equivalent in education and experience required. CPC, CCS, or CCS-P required. CRC preferred. Master’s degree in a relevant management or healthcare field of study preferred.
Instructions for Resume Submission
Send resume to Barbara Auguste: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted: January 3, 2020 at 1:34 PM
Post ID: 46226