Find a Job
HIM Supervisor – Document Management
Duke University Health System
Location: Durham (Near RTP), North Carolina
Work Setting: Hospital
Job Function: HIM Manager/Supervisor
Job Type: Full-Time
Duke University Health System is seeking an HIM Supervisor in Document Management. DUHS is a world-class health care network dedicated to providing outstanding patient care, educating tomorrow’s health care leaders, and discovering new and better ways to treat disease through biomedical research.
Founded in 1998 to provide efficient, responsive care, the health system offers a full network of health services and encompasses three highly regarded hospitals – Duke University Hospital, Durham Regional Hospital and Duke Raleigh Hospital – physician practices, home hospice care, and various support services such as the Patient Revenue Management Organization (PRMO).
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual’s age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
General Description of the Job Class
Under general management, the Service Access Manager – HIM Supervisor, Document Management coordinates and monitors the overall workflows, standards and team goals. Supervise and trains staff engaged in HIM functions and assists in developing operating policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for identifying professional development needs, initiating continued development training and monitoring ongoing progress.
- Develop, onboard and train new employees. Ensure 30, 60, 90-day onboarding expectations are met.
- Drive health information management operational decisions to resolve complex issues impacting documentation, patients and providers.
- Provide communication timely to staff regarding Error Feedback received by quality review and discuss overall monthly quality review scores with each staff member.
- Maintain attendance records for each employee; monitor and approve PTO time off requests based upon department business needs. Monitor, update and approve API with accurate employee information.
- Communicate changes in policy and procedures as needed to remain compliant with health system requirements.
- Prepare and deliver monthly, midyear and annual performance evaluations for each employee.
- Coordinate, schedule and communicate effectively with Manager promoting a positive and productive work team. Share organization, planning and presentations of team meetings as scheduled.
- Holds primary authority for recommendations of advancement, promotion, hiring, firing or other change of status for direct reports.
- Responsible for performance management to include counseling, performance improvement plans and corrective actions as necessary. Schedule and meet with low performing employees on weekly basis. Maintain personnel files in accordance with Human Resource policy.
- Identify FMLA circumstances for staff. Initiate, document and monitor the guidelines associated with the requirements.
- Ensure staff compliance with Workers Compensation requirements. Document appropriate forms and initiate within 24 hours of occurrence.
- Monitors requirements of mandatory training and communicates employee’s status.
- Validate and reassess productivity standards through observations, documenting and sharing for management review and recommend resolution/feedback.
- Conduct regular rounding conversations with staff to build connections through learning, caring and sharing.
- Monitor security access for all staff and inform management of any necessary updates in a timely manner.
- Review daily, weekly, and monthly inventory and staffing to meet departmental key performance indicator goals.
- Monitor work assignments to ensure appropriate coverage on a daily basis.
- Monitor Interface Error and Document Corrections work queues daily; investigate and resolve complex issues and confer with patients, Duke Staff or others as necessary to ensure accuracy of the electronic health record.
- Support DUHS Compliance through investigation and documentation of events pertaining to potential PHI breaches related to document processing.
- Maintain liaison with hospital and clinic personnel to coordinate efforts to resolve problems concern to ensure the integrity of the electronic health record.
- Understand, manage and achieve labor productivity standards to support budgeted staffing levels.
- Interacts with and provides timely verbal and written responses to internal and external customers.
- Participates in the development of operating goals and objectives for the unit; recommends, implements, and administers operating protocol and procedures to enhance operations.
- Attends meetings and participates on committees, as assigned.
- Author recommended departmental policies and procedures to include documenting and testing of database logic needs.
- Actively participate in Employee Engagement initiatives based on work culture scores and action plans.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
High school diploma required. An Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in a related field is strongly preferred.
Requires six years of experience of a progressive nature in a healthcare setting to become knowledgeable of the complex activities associated with healthcare services. An Associate’s degree in healthcare or business may substitute for two years of experience. A Bachelor’s degree in healthcare or business may substitute for four years of experience.
Posted: November 11, 2019 at 3:22 PM
Post ID: 44861