Find a Job
Release of Information Specialist
Location: Lebanon, New Hampshire
Work Setting: Hospital
Job Function: Other
Job Type: Full-Time
Processes requests for release of health information to third parties, ensuring that proper authorization is provided Ensure the Privacy and State regulations are adhered to when disclosing health information.
- Greets customers, determining the appropriate routing of customer requests.
- Screens incoming calls, releasing general information concerning services and privacy policies, photocopying charges, turn-around time, and authorization requirements. Provides health information to properly authorized telephone requests from patients, insurance companies, and attorneys. Assists in forwarding misdirected calls to the appropriate person.
- Reviews and interprets clinical information from paper or electronic patient records and release it to authorized requesting parties. Maintains broad knowledge of the electronic medical record, ensuring the most efficient procedure to print minimum necessary information. Ensures health information is disclosed in accordance with Privacy and State regulations.
- Documents all requests, written or verbal, and the status of each request in the electronic tracking system as required by established procedures. Ensures that designated requests are scanned into the electronic medical record.
- Prioritizes requests following section-established priorities as well as those mandated by State law. Completes productivity worksheets.
- Responds to requests for medical information in a medical emergency.
- Prepares medical records for review by insurance companies, attorneys, and governmental agencies, including monitoring review by third party and billing.
- Monitors on-site record reviews, assisting customers with organization of the medical documentation.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned
- Graduate of an accredited Health Information Technician program or the equivalent in education and experience required.
- Knowledge of medical terminology required.
- Basic computer skills required.
- Excellent communication (both written and verbal), interpersonal and organization skills required.
- A broad knowledge of all aspects of medical records, including legal aspects of medical records desired.
- Familiarity with fax machines, printers, and photocopies desired.
- The ability to work as a team and to determine the capability to use sound judgment in decision making desired.
Posted: September 30, 2019 at 9:41 AM
Post ID: 43333