Find a Job
Director of Health Information Services
Jefferson Community Health & Life
Location: Fairbury, Nebraska
Work Setting: Hospital, Long Term Care
Job Function: HIM Director/Privacy Officer
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary Range: $60,000 – $85,000
Jefferson Community Health & Life operates a 17-bed, acute care Critical Access Hospital in Fairbury, Nebraska. We offer inpatient and outpatient services, including surgery, therapy, screenings, and emergency services. We also provide additional health and life services for the community, including Jefferson Community Health & Life Fairbury Clinic and Plymouth Clinic for family medicine, Jefferson Community Health & Life Gardenside for long-term care, Jefferson Community Health & Life Burkley Fitness Center and Jefferson Community Health & Life Home Health services. In addition, Jefferson Community Health & Life supports numerous educational programs and community support groups.
POSITION SUMMARY: Plans, develops, and administers health information system for health care facility consistent with the standards of accrediting and regulatory agencies and requirements of health care system to insure quality department outcomes which support the organization’s mission, visions and values. Maintains medical staff bylaws, credentials and re-appointments.
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: HIS Clerk, transcriptionist, coders/UR reviewers, scanning
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the general knowledge, skill, and / or ability required:
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide.
- Ability to generate, read, interprets, and acts as it relates to basic financial statements, national and state regulations, operational and maintenance and organizational policy / procedures.
- Ability to write reports and correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information to patients, family, employees, physicians, etc.…
|Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities|
|1.||Directs areas of accountability through strategic planning and review of department operations to insure efficiency and effectiveness.
· Meets regularly with department to discuss and monitor operations, which may include problem solving issues and insuring effective processing.
· Approves department procedures to insure consistent and accurate processing.
· Monitors service levels to insure they are achieved and maintained.
· Works with department to adjust where necessary to meet service level requirements.
· Monitors quality controls and implements improvements/changes to achieve quality levels.
· Collects information and distributes to appropriate departments for swing bed transfers from other facilities, ensuring patient meets criteria for care.
|2.||Recruits and develops a qualified and productive workforce.
· Maintains and creates reporting job descriptions.
· Recruits effectively for department positions by following established hiring practices and guidelines.
· Orients new employees in a thorough manner to department and organizational operations and procedures.
· Provides training to department staff in an appropriate and thorough manner.
· Offers opportunity for continuing education by sharing own knowledge, accessing internal opportunities, and considering external opportunities to support the continued development of department staff.
|3.||Performs employee relations functions effectively to promote a positive work environment, influence retention and enhance communication.
· Works with department to insure effectiveness in the application of employee relations within their areas of accountability.
· Develops, supports, and actively seeks activities and establishes an environment that promotes recognition and retention for employees.
· Communicates effectively and provides feedback to staff which may include department meetings, individual employee meetings, rounding, etc….
· Addresses employee issues in an effective and timely manner.
· Communicates with Administrator and HR regarding employee issues appropriately to obtain guidance and reduce potential organizational liability.
· Enforces and interprets policies and procedures with employees, as necessary.
· Administers annual performance appraisal process for staff.
|4.||Manages departmental financial operations, effectively.
· Maintains, develops, and reports budgets, capital expenditure planning, and strategic planning for responsible areas
· Monitors individual department budgets and expenses monthly.
· Maintains timekeeping records and updates appropriately and accurately for department staff.
· Works with vendors and management, as appropriate, to negotiate best value purchases.
|5.||Performs all aspects of position in a compliant manner, following all applicable state and federal regulations.
· Understands and enforces related regulations and laws which govern the performance of the services being provided, which also includes employment law.
· Maintains current knowledge of laws, regulations, and current events that may impact work produced.
· Considers the impact of regulations in work that is produced and discusses concerns with department head and/or Administrator appropriately to ensure compliance.
· Compile, interpret, and evaluate statistical or narrative reports relative to medical record services, tumor registry, case mix, utilization review, and quality assessment.
· Reduces organizational liability by following and applying all compliance regulations consistently.
· Oversees Utilization Review process and provides regulatory information on standards and level of care requirements to ensure the accuracy of patient billing and reimbursement for facility.
|6.||Participates and monitors activities related to continuous performance improvements.
· Prepares Balanced Score Card for department.
· Analyzes patient data for reimbursement, facility planning, quality of patient care, risk management, utilization management, research.
· Coordinates medical care evaluation with medical staff and develops criteria and methods for such evaluation.
· Participates on the Environment Protection Committee.
|7.||Responsible for maintaining the patient records and for ensuring that they are completely and accurately documented, readily accessible and systematically organized.
· Develops and implements policies and procedures for documenting, storing, and retrieving information, and for processing medical and legal documents, insurance data, and correspondence requests, in conformance with federal, state and local statutes.
· Monitors the quality of work performed through internal audits in areas such as coding, analysis, transcription, filing, statistics, etc.
· Maintains confidentiality and security of medical records.
· Follows HIPAA regulations and ensures that the confidentiality of patients’ medical, personal, financial records, and organizational records is maintained.
· Acts as JCH&L’s privacy officer and is responsible for implementation and compliance of privacy regulations.
· Reports on physician chart delinquency.
|8.||Functions as the Medical Staff Coordinator.
· Organizes Medical Staff meetings, develops agendas and maintains meeting minutes.
· Reviews, edits, and maintains Medical Staff bylaws.
|9.||Maintains credentialing procedures for medical staff personnel.
· Performs initial contacts with HHA CVO.
· Performs 2-year re-appointment procedures.
· Oversees credentialing, fees, payments, etc.
· Maintains file system to analyze need for updated licensures, insurance coverage etc.
|10.||Complies with the state and federal regulatory requirements related to the performance of JCH&L operations and requirements of the JCH&L Compliance Program, including but not limited to the Service Excellence Standards, the Compliance Policy, Safety and Infection Control, all department and organization-wide policies, Critical Access Hospital requirements, and Federal and State of Nebraska regulations.|
|11.||Participates in professional growth and development requirements and opportunities by attending department meetings, participation in required and voluntary educational programs and in-service meetings, including current literature, workshops, and other developmental opportunities.|
|12.||Performance Improvement & Personal Growth
· Observes for and reports potential or actual process concerns and actively seeks a resolution to the problem.
· Participates in department meetings and training opportunities to keep informed of changes affecting patient care and facility operations.
· Meets the minimum annual educational requirements
· Shares knowledge and expertise by participating in training for co-workers and orientation of new staff.
· Provides positive role model for co-workers
· Identifies and participates in JCH&L committees, performance improvement and quality initiatives and other activities which support the health center and department operations.
|13.||Performs other duties as assigned.|
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS, MATERIALS:
Computer and printer
Fax and copy machine
General office materials/equipment/supplies
PATIENT AGE GROUPS SERVED:
Child, adolescent, adult and geriatric.
- American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) Registered Health Information (RHIT) OR
Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA).
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university; or three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three years coding experience in a hospital or clinic setting, preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports and legal documents.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area circumference, and volume.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Apply Online: http://jchealthandlife.org
Posted: September 16, 2019 at 3:54 PM
Post ID: 42859