Find a Job
Arkansas Children’s Hospital
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Work Setting: Hospital
Job Function: Coding Supervisor/Manager
Job Type: Full-Time
The Coding / CDI Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the coding and clinical documentation improvement functions in the Health Information Management Department. Works closely with the Director of Health Information Management in development and implementation of departmental goals and actions plans. Is responsible for ensuring accurate and compliant coding practices are adhered to, effectively communicating with, and acting as a resource to health care providers, practice managers and staff to resolve documentation, charge or other issues as they arise to ensure accuracy of coding and reimbursement, adhering to government requirements, industry standards, operational policies and procedures, and organizational compliance objectives.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Department and Project Management
- Demonstrates an understanding of the operational and strategic linkage between one segment of the organization with other segments.
- Develops, implements and evaluates departmental goals and action plans which support the hospital mission, philosophy and strategic plan.
- Completes responsibilities in a timely manner through effective organization, setting priorities, delegation, and time management skills.
2. Technical Knowledge, Skill Level
- Works closely with coding staff, clinical documentation specialists and Patient Financial Services to maintain unbilled accounts at the lowest amount consistently.
- Maintains coding and clinical documentation policies and procedures.
- Performs productivity and quality assessments of individual coders and CDI Specialists on at least a quarterly basis.
- Oversees second level chart review processes to ensure appropriate documentation to support most appropriate principle diagnosis, DRG and POA assignment, and completeness of all supporting documentation.
- Maintains current coding updates, processes and educates coders and CDI Specialists on these as they occur.
- Prepares and submits monthly CDI program status to the HIM Director, Physician Champions, and senior leadership, as requested.
- Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the MS-DRG/APR-DRG system, CCs/MCCs, and SOI/ROM impact on quality and case mix index for optimal benchmark and outcome data.
- Provides feedback, assists in coordinating and/or facilitating focused educational strategies regarding coding and CDI program objectives and best practices for documentation improvement to CDI staff, coding staff, Physician Champions, and clinicians, as needed.
3. Human Resources Management
- Develops and maintains a staffing plan for the coding and clinical documentation area.
- Recruits, interviews, hires, orients and trains qualified coding and CDI staff in accordance with ACH policies and procedures.
- Manages performance by assessing staff competency and providing constructive feedback on initial hire on an ongoing basis and during annual performance appraisals.
- Evaluates needs, assigns and directs staff to prioritize and coordinate service responsibility on a day-to-day basis.
- Evaluates educational needs for areas of responsibility and works with and makes recommendations to Director regarding meeting those needs.
4. Fiscal Management and Resource Utilization
- Determines needs, allocates resources and resolves problems related to staffing, space, equipment and supplies.
- Plans, develops, monitors, and assumes accountability for operating within the annual departmental and capital equipment budget for areas of responsibility.
- Monitors, reviews, justifies, and implements strategies to improve financial performance for assigned areas including expenses and productivity.
- Responsible for assuring accurate time, attendance and payroll records for areas of responsibility.
- Oversees and manages the operations of the onsite and remote coding program and clinical documentation program.
- Participates in the hiring, corrective action and annual performance review processes.
- Serves as a role model and mentor for assigned staff by consistently demonstrating professionalism.
- Assumes responsibility for professional development and integration of acquired knowledge and skills into practice.
Arkansas Children’s Hospital is an equal opportunity employer
- Required – 4 years total experience required, which includes 3 years of hospital coding to include inpatient and outpatient experience, which includes 1 year of Supervisory or Lead experience.
CERTIFICATION / LICENSE / REGISTRY REQUIREMENTS
- Required – Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) (Certification)or Registered Health Information Technologist (RHIT) (Certification) (Candidate must possesss at time of hire)
- Required – National Coding Certification (Candidate must possesss at time of hire)
Experience Requirements preferred –
- Preferred – 2 years CDI Management experience
- Required – Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university – Field of Study: Health Information Management (Must have completed the program requirements of an accredited Health Information Management Program.), or Or four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Apply Online: http://www.archildrens.org
Posted: July 19, 2019 at 5:17 PM
Post ID: 41027