Find a Job
HIM Processor – Medical Records
LifePath Hospice – Chapters Health System
Location: Tampa (Sun City Center), Florida
Work Setting: Other
Job Function: HIM Director/Privacy Officer, HIM Manager/Supervisor, HIM Specialist, IT / EMR Analyst
Job Type: Full-Time
As a compassionate non-profit organization since 1983, Chapters Health System is committed to enhancing the lives of those affected by advancing age or illness. Through our comprehensive system of healthcare choices, we deliver expert care and heartfelt support to guide the community during the aging and end-of-life journey. From hospice and palliative care for adults and children suffering with life-limiting illnesses to in-home and community-based services for frail but independent seniors, Chapters Health offers a wide range of support services along life’s ever-changing landscape. As we continue to grow, we are seeking:
Responsible for assembling, analyzing, and maintaining medical records according to established procedure.
- Confirm patient name, medical record number, team and program are on every page in the record, front and back.
- Identify and tape torn edges.
- Mount and tape down any sheets less than 8.5 by 11 inches on an 8.5 by 11 inch sheet.
- Remove all staples.
- For any documents on card stock or manila, make a photocopy before scanning.
- Perform daily maintenance of the scanner.
- Calibrate the scanner for proper image quality, as needed.
- Monitor the manual indexing queue of unassigned images.
- Prioritize batches received in the e-fax queue and retrieve for processing and uploading into the EMR.
- Review each electronic image within the batch; compare with hard copy to confirm image quality, appropriate order and appropriate rotation of image.
- Determine the correct patient name, medical record number, program, document type or section (if appropriate).
- Index the image appropriately by required patient data elements according to facility specific guidelines and naming conventions.
- Maintain and reconcile the death/discharge report to ensure that all closed files are accounted for prior to scanning.
- Maintain production log that outlines database names, scan dates and CD burn dates.
- Maintain database (i.e., naming conventions, database size and folder profile).
- Perform scanning functions while maintaining a satisfactory level of productivity.
- Index scanned documents according to a predetermined file layout while maintaining a satisfactory level of accuracy.
- Ensure daily system back-up.
- Perform quality review of scanned documents prior to burning to CD.
- Communicate with department supervisor regarding any adverse software or hardware issues.
- Protect the confidentiality of the scanned and paper documents at all times.
Scanning Quality Control
- Review each image in the batch and verify the following:
- Correct patient name and program level
- Proper indexing level / naming convention
- Image quality (readable, orientation, multiple sides, etc.)
- For each page scanned or indexed with errors
- Rearrange out of order images within the electronic document
- Relocate electronic images that are incorrectly filed in another document
- Replace electronic images that have unacceptable image quality or have been updated
- Modify the indexing as appropriate
- Process admission paperwork including chart assembly.
- Request prior medical records from hospitals and physicians as indicated on the Nursing History and Physical and Team Daily Report.
- File/Scan medical record documentation in a timely manner making certain that the patient name and number correlate to the chart.
- Pull and prepare charts for IDG/IDT meetings. Ensure that filing and scanning are current.
- Pull charts for audits, research and other legitimate requests.
- Audit charts following the death/discharge of the patient. Identify delinquent documentation that is needed for chart completion.
- Prepare and update the chart deficiency report weekly and distribute to the Clinical Manager, Regional Director, and HIM Supervisor for resolution.
- Monitor the return of all documentation until the chart is complete and escalate any chart deficiencies that have not been resolved, as necessary.
- Daily opening, logging and sorting of mail, work queues and IDG/IDT paperwork.
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- High School graduate or equivalent with GED
- Health Information Management Certificate, HIT PRO Certificate preferred
- Two years’ office experience, preferably in a medical setting
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- Strong computer skills with ability to type 40 wpm
- Ability to navigate EHR and document management systems
- Knowledge of medical record format and content for all programs
- Ability to identify nonstandard forms and determine appropriate action required
- Detail oriented
- Ability to review record and verify patient identification
- Ability to lift and move/transport multiple charts
- Ability to bend and reach overhead
- Valid driver’s license and automobile insurance as per Company policy
Chapters Health System brings a great deal to the benefit “table.” Whether you join our organization in a clinical, administrative or corporate role, the Chapters Health comprehensive benefits package allows you to customize your plan to meet your needs. Our team members receive a competitive salary and an outstanding benefits package. You’ll find our comprehensive benefits package truly rewarding, with the following:
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision plan
- Flexible spending account
- Retirement plan
- Life Insurance and accidental death or dismemberment
- Long-term disability
- Short-term disability
- Voluntary life insurance
- Voluntary personal accident insurance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Pre-paid legal plan
- Paid time off
Discover how rewarding a career in non-profit healthcare can be. When you become a member of the Chapters Health team, you’ll realized that it’s more than a job. It’s a mission. Come be part of something special and make a positive difference in the lives of patients and families every day.
Careers with Chapters Health really are filled with satisfying challenges and countless rewards. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE
Posted: April 18, 2019 at 3:23 PM
Post ID: 38785