Find a Job
Health Information Management Manager
Henry Ford Health System
Location: Troy, Michigan
Work Setting: Hospital
Job Function: HIM Manager/Supervisor
Job Type: Full-Time
Henry Ford Health System is committed to improving the health and well-being of our diverse Michigan community
Founded in 1915 by auto pioneer Henry Ford and now one of the nation’s leading health care providers, Henry Ford Health System is a not-for-profit corporation managed by Chief Executive Officer Wright L. Lassiter, III and governed by a 17-member Board of Trustees, with volunteer-led advisory and affiliate boards providing additional leadership.
It is comprised of hospitals, medical centers and one of the nation’s largest group practices, the Henry Ford Medical Group, which includes more than 1,200 physicians practicing in over 40 specialties. The System’s flagship, Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, is a Level 1 Trauma Center recognized for clinical excellence in cardiology, cardiovascular surgery, neurology and neurosurgery, orthopedics, sports medicine, multi-organ transplants and cancer treatment.
With more than 30,000 employees, Henry Ford Health System is the fifth-largest employer in metro Detroit, and among the most diverse.
Responsible for management of the operations for health information functions across the multi-facility integrated healthcare delivery system. Health Information functions includes the release of medical record information and maintaining patients¿ medical records. This position provides direction, support and management for HIM operations related to patient health information, maintaining confidentiality internal and external to the healthcare organization, supporting and maintaining patient health information (including but not limited to paper and electronic health records) striving for compliance and promoting best practices and education in all HIM related areas. Leads through sharing knowledge, motivation and empowerment of HIM operations while balancing the expectations of the team performance through effective communication and organized process improvements. Oversees the HIM operations maintaining a high level of customer service related to HIM functions for all business units which include: Henry Ford Hospital, Henry Ford Kingswood Hospital, Henry Ford Macomb Hospital, Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital, Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital and Henry Ford Medical Group Clinics.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for system wide regulatory compliance, related policies and HIM accreditation providing business unit representation at regulatory committee meetings.
- Promotes system forms standardization including facilitation of the System Forms (eTemplate) Committee. Participates in various committees for continuous quality improvement initiatives Works closely with system departments, business units, vendors and actively to ensure optimal customer satisfaction.
- Responsible for maintaining HIM operations budget and monitoring of performance throughout the fiscal year. Responds to change with a positive attitude and demonstrates a willingness to learn new ways to accomplish work activities, objectives and provide positive support to staff.
- Facilitates the System Electronic Health Record Committee (SEHR: Medical Records Committee) supporting HIM system standardization.
- Responsible for oversight of record completion and compliance.
- Willingly cooperates and works toward solutions which support a common goal.
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local laws and regulations, the Integrity/Compliance Program, Code of Conduct, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behavior.
- Evaluates the performance of HFHS HIM Operations Team.
- Interviews, hires, trains, mentors and disciplines associates according to Human Resource policies and procedures.
- Takes the initiative to make decisions and is an advocate for change and quality improvement in HIM operations, procedures and processes to support the current and future needs of the HIM department and health system.
- Oversees and maintains the integrity and quality of patient information, including but not limited to paper and electronic patient records and related health care applications; includes oversight of paper record scanning process.
- Instrumental in ensuring HIM compliance including privacy, security, confidentiality and release of information practices to reflect current organizational practices, policies and regulatory requirements. Responsible to identify opportunities to improve HIM operations, monitor and track trends and initiate actions and processes to improve performance in achieving HIM operational standards.
- Oversight and coordination of quality customer HIM functions performed at individual business unit locations throughout the system; including HIM storefronts, record maintenance, birth and death certificate processes as applicable
Bachelors degree in Health Information Management or related field required.
Five years management experience or successful supervisor experience in a position that demonstrates leadership ability, initiative and assertiveness.
Knowledge of best practices related to HIM functions, regulatory requirements, and day-to-day operations.
Five years management experience in HIM regulatory requirements specific to privacy, confidentiality and release of information requirements (i.e. HIPAA, Joint Commission, DNV, CMS), preferred.
Communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with staff.
Ability to manage, coordinate, and lead simultaneously.
Ability to estimate time frames and meet projected deadlines.
Interpersonal skills necessary in order to provide effective leadership to departmental personnel and to develop and maintain a wide variety of internal and external cooperative working relationships.
Ability to work independently.
Ability to understand and lead change.
Demonstrate experience in all areas of medical record functions, including privacy & compliance regulations.
Goal oriented, exceptional interpersonal skills, change management and political skill.
RHIA or RHIT certification required.
- Bachelors degree in Health Information Management or related field required.
Compensation based on years of experience and internal equity. Position is eligible for full-time benefit package.
Instructions for Resume Submission
To apply directly on the Henry Ford Careers site:
Apply Online: http://www.henryfordcareers.com
Posted: April 17, 2019 at 7:45 AM
Post ID: 38732