Find a Job
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Work Setting: Hospital
Job Function: Coder
Job Type: Full-Time
The Inpatient Coder is responsible for accurate coding and abstracting of data for all inpatient and observation diagnoses and conditions, working from the appropriate documentation in the medical record and entering the information into the hospital computer system. The Coder must stay update on code changes and coding guidelines to assure quality and code compliance is met at all times. The Coder must stay abreast of state and federal regulations that are relevant in their position. This position must work closely with the Clinical Documentation Specialist and participate on the CDMP committee.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with PRIDE and the Visions and Goals of Lawrence Memorial Hospital.
- Reviews inpatient and outpatient medical records to identify the principal diagnosis and all applicable secondary diagnosis and procedures.
- Use computerized encoding system to facilitate accurate coding according to the appropriate classification system.
- Sequence diagnosis and procedures by following ICD-10-CM & ICD-10-PCS, CPT/HCPCS, UHDDS, Medicare, Medicaid, and other fiscal intermediary guidelines.
- Will be cross trained to assist with backlog in all outpatient/ED coding as necessary.
- Work cooperatively with medical staff and other healthcare professionals in obtaining documentation to ensure optimal hospital payment and accurate data input.
- Prepare workload reports and participates in department continuous quality improvement studies.
- Abstract medical data from the record to complete discharge data abstract on each outpatient.
- Complete and verify diagnostic, demographic and other information for submission to KHDS.
- Review, verify, and initiate necessary correction processes for data quality review.
- Participate in medical record documentation auditing to monitor physician compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Communicate and advise other hospital personnel on coding and DRG assignment.
- Meet established quality and productivity standards.
- Adhere to all hospital and departmental policies, procedures and regulations, including attendance.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Requires ability to concentrate and maintain accuracy in spite of frequent interruptions and/or distractions, sit for long periods of time.
- Must be able to follow instructions and use sound judgment.
- Requires close mental and visual attention to details, as well as excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to handle frustration and interactions with others in a professional manner.
- Requires self-motivation to complete work assignments in a timely, accurate manner.
- Maintain ongoing registration and continuing education for Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS).
- Performs other duties as needed or assigned.
- Associates degree
- RHIA, RHIT or CCS education and credential, or in progress
- Minimum 3 years in health information department with strong inpatient coding experience and in depth knowledge of coding systems/DRG methodology
- Bachelor’s degree in Health Information Management
- RHIT, RHIA, CCS credential
Instructions for Resume Submission
Please submit resume and complete application on our website: https://teds.lmh.org/careers/views/jobDetails.xhtml?reqCd=TAL100029N&reqRevCd=1
Posted: April 5, 2019 at 1:08 PM
Post ID: 38360