Find a Job
Supervisor, HIM Operations Coding
Location: Renton, Washington
Work Setting: Non Provider Setting
Job Function: Coding Supervisor/Manager
Job Type: Full-Time
Reporting directly to the Coding Manager in HIM Operations and serves as the primary resource for coding and coding vendors. Responsible for day-to-day operations of all coding staff and vendors including ensuring all work stays within target turnaround times, monitoring coding productivity and quality, and holding staff accountable for meeting all targets. Participates in improvement workshops and serves on committees to ensure processes are clear and followed.
- In partnership with interdepartmental team members, plans, organizes and directs the cost-effective business functions of the HIM Operations coding staff. Monitors work volumes and effectively manages coding staff to ensure all productivity, quality and backlog targets are met.
- Participates in work groups, meetings and task forces to establish and implement standardized and efficient coding operations that optimize customer satisfaction and non-dues revenue. Monitors and controls costs by adjusting staffing and business processes given financial constraints, changes in facility operations and technology. May participate in budget preparation and development with guidance and support from department leader.
- Initiates and maintains productive and professional partnerships with leaders at all Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington locations and contracted facilities and keeps open communication regarding the shared medical records systems. Works closely with other departments to ensure all services are coded and billed correctly, works with provider group to ensure accuracy in cases coded, works with contracted hospitals to ensure information is sent to Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington consistently and accurately. Initiates and maintains good relationships with coding vendors, makes regular contact phone/in person with coding vendors to discuss quality and process improvement.
- Initiates and maintains good relationships with staff at contracted facilities and keeps open communication regarding the shared medical records systems. Ensures that all coders have accurate access to other medical record systems and that all records are available in a timely manner. Initiates and maintains good relationships with coding vendors, makes regular contact phone/in person with coding vendors to discuss quality and process improvement.
- Oversee day-to-day work of on-site, remote, and home-based coding staff. Effectively manage capacity and demand utilizing lean methodologies. Work with contract staff in cost-effective ways to ensure work is done timely at lowest cost.
- Minimum three (3) years of progressive supervisory or management experience in a coding or compliance setting.
- Minimum five (5) years of coding experience in inpatient or outpatient settings.
- CPT (including Evaluation and Management), ICD-9 diagnosis and procedural coding, ICD-10 diagnosis and procedural coding, and HCPCS coding.
- Advanced medical terminology, pathophysiology, pharmacology.
- Statistics related to productivity and quality in a coding setting.
- All Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, Outlook.
- 3M Codefinder and Epic electronic medical records.
- ICD-10 training certification.
- Bachelor’s degree in health information management or other business or health care-related field.
- Associate degree in health information technology or other business or health care-related field.
License, Certification, Registration
- RHIA, RHIT, CCS, CCS-P or CPC by date of hire/transfer.
- RHIA or RHIT with additional coding credential (CPC-H, CCS) by date of hire/transfer.
Posted: February 22, 2019 at 11:34 AM
Post ID: 36670