Find a Job
Cancer Registry, Coordinator
LMH Health (Lawrence Memorial Hospital
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Work Setting: Hospital
Job Function: Cancer Registrar
Job Type: Full-Time
I. JOB SUMMARY
The Cancer Registrar Coordinator is responsible for the daily operations and the data quality management in the Cancer Registry in order to support the LMH Health Oncology Program. Responsible for cancer registry staff work assignments and coordination. Provides oversight of data completeness and quality of non-credentialed staff according to Quality Control Policy. Responsible for external data reporting to the Kansas Department of Public Health Kansas Cancer Registry, National Cancer Database, and Commission on Cancer (CoC), and any others as necessary. Responsible for managing and analyzing clinical cancer information for purposes of quality management outcome measurements, pay-for performance, patient management, education and clinical research. Assists in training staff; revising policies and procedure and preparing for CoC surveys.
II. ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinates and is responsible for the daily work operations within the cancer registry and data management services, focusing on case identification; abstracting; monitoring of data quality and accuracy; follow-up surveillance of patients; clinical outcomes, and external reporting to meet standards set forth by the Kansas Department of Public Health, CoC, National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers, and National Cancer Database (NCB).
- Responsible for timely, accurate and complete data abstraction on all types of cancer diagnosed and/or treated within the defined population. Data includes: demographic, cancer identification, treatment and follow-up information form the time of diagnosis throughout patient’s lifetime in compliance with standards set forth by the CoC; the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) National Program of Cancer Registries (NPCR); Facility Oncology Registry Data Standards (FORDS); the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program; etc.
- Monitors quality of care based on clinical practice guidelines, assesses patterns of care and referrals, and monitors adverse outcomes, including mortality and co-morbidity.
- Works closely with Oncology providers and staff and communicates openly regarding status of Cancer Registry and patient outcome trends or areas of interest.
- Assists with entering facility data in the Survey Application Record (SAR) and Program Activity Record (PAR) for the American College of Surgeons CoC Accreditation.
- Maintains current knowledge of cancer trends and developments in the cancer field and data collection procedures revised by standard setters, such as North American Association of Central Cancer Registries (NAACCR), ACOS. Maintains credentials as required by professional associations.
- May serve as Cancer Registry Quality Coordinator on the Cancer Committee for LMH Health. Completes the minutes for each Committee. May serve on workgroups, as assigned.
- May be responsible for coordinating Physician QA Review activities and the College of American Pathologists (CAP) cancer protocol review per Quality Data Control Plan approved by the Cancer Committee.
- Assists in the creating and maintaining policies and procedures related to area of responsibility including quality and productivity levels.
- Provides training and oversight of non-credentialed staff according to the Quality Control Policy.
- Responsible for preparing routine and special statistical reports; provide data on cancer patient population for hospital planning and administration; prepare narrative reports and graphic presentations; design tables, charts, and graphs of cancer registry data.
- Coordinates and manages the quality indicator reporting process to the National Cancer Database and Rapid Quality Reporting System for CoC.
- Participates in and supports continuous quality improvement efforts within the department and hospital.
- Expand job-related knowledge and skills to improve performance and adjust to change. Responsible for attending a national or regional cancer-related meeting once every three year cycle.
III. JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- 5+ years working in a cancer registry
- Graduate of cancer registry academic program
- Certified Tumor Registrar
- Experience working in a Commission on Cancer accredited facility
IV. BEHAVIORAL EXPECTATIONS (common to all positions)
- Patient 1st – I consider the patient 1st in everything we do
- Better Together – I am part of the LMH team that works together to achieve excellence
- Speak Up – I communicate openly and welcome feedback to make us better
- Be Bold – I boldly take risks to creatively explore, innovate, and learn from our experiences
- Own It – I take accountability for my actions and hold others accountable for theirs
- In Joy – I create a workplace that is both fun and meaningful
At LMH Health we value inclusion and diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage all to apply. Employment is decided on the basis of experience and qualifications that meet the business need.
Posted: February 18, 2019 at 4:52 PM
Post ID: 36434