Find a Job
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Work Setting: Hospital
Job Function: Coder
Job Type: Full-Time
Req ID: 20186
Employment Status: AF – Active – Regular – Full Time
This position is responsible for assigning ICD-10-CM/PCS and CPT codes to charts of all discharged patients. The Coding Technician is ultimately responsible for ensuring accurate, appropriate and quality coded data for the organization.
- Reviews and analyzes medical records to determine the principal diagnosis, and procedure and all appropriate secondary diagnoses for inpatient and outpatient charts.
- Correctly identifies all diagnoses and procedures 95% of the time.
- Correctly assigns ICD-10-CM/PCS and/or CPT codes to all procedures and diagnoses 95% of the time.
- Codes all charts within three days of availability with 98% of the time.
- Maintain productivity standards:
- Inpatient records- 2.5 per hours
- Outpatient records- 3.4 per hours
- Creates appropriate physician queries and participates actively in the physician query program.
- 98% of the time the queries are identified and appropriate
- Informs supervisor of trends and opportunities for improvement in clinical documentation.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of coding, including and knowledge of CHOP’s internal coding guidelines.
- Reviews the official AHA Coding Clinic and demonstrates the ability to accurately apply new coding guidelines.
- Researches new diagnostic and procedure codes as required to perform the coding function. Participates in the education of staff, physicians and appropriate divisions, as warranted.
- Maintains reference library.
- Assures compliance with the national Correct Coding Initiatives
- Correctly identifies missing components of charts 95% of the time and sends workflow notice to colleagues for retrieval of missing documentation.
- Abstract the pertinent clinical, coded, demographic and other required information into the EPIC electronic medical record abstracting system with 95% accuracy.
- Identifies trends/opportunities for improvement in clinical documentation and communicates through the appropriate channels.
- Utilize the Epic EHR and HDM/3M coding system to indicate accounts pending coding and the specific reasons.
- Work collaboratively with other coders to resolve challenging cases/coding scenarios.
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
RHIA, RHIT, and/or CCS
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: Associate’s degree
Required Experience: A minimum of two (2) years acute care inpatient and outpatient coding experience required
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Preferred Education: Bachelor’s degree
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products or nicotine in any form and a negative nicotine screen (the latter occurs after a job offer).
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
Apply Online: http://bit.ly/2QmlGpz
Posted: September 13, 2018 at 3:12 PM
Post ID: 30287